Sunday 3 July 2011

CUP CAKES ANYONE?

Yona had promised her classmates that we would be baking the cup cakes they will be selling at her school nature's club's  stall during the Larian 1Malaysia day.

She had wanted  varities of flavours but I settled with just two . Namely my ever popular raisins and soft moist chocolate.
I had finished baking the more than hundred cupcakes by late afternoon. ( the number dwindled with the help of Andrew, Tisha and Lydia by the time everything was ready )
The only mistake I made was not doing the chocolate frosting much earlier so much so that I ended up sleeping way past midnight just to complete the task. It was then too hot to use immediately.
I had gone out for dinner with Andrew and the girls and only came home around ten thirty prior starting the task..
Making matter worse, I had use the electric stove instead of the gas stove and that had made the cooking much longer.

With the frosting and icing  not done, I had no choice but to wake up early the next morning....(or was it the same day??? )
I must always  remind myself to do any frosting that need double boiling be done a day earlier .

Although it was a saturday, every student in  Malaysia were required to be in school.
This first time event ever held was compulsory for every student and school in the whole of Malaysia....thus the name larian 1Malaysia..... which in direct translation would mean..1Malaysia Run.

...every Malaysian running...get it?..well not everyone, just the students who are also running on every other Malaysian's like myself ( who's not running ) behalf.

It was just a short run within the school's own padang for Yona.
She claimed she won first place ( unfortunately with no prize to back that up) for the girls' section and came in amongs the top ten for both catogary.
I have no doubts on that claim as I know what she's capable of .(..it's all in the genes :) )

As for Lydia,I did not asked where her school  made them  run.
Her school is located on a hill top and there was really not much place to run around other than up and down the hill. That was what they probably did.
She came home not as a winner .Instead with  tears stained eyes and a hole on her pants.
She ripped the knee part of her pants when she slipped , fell and stepped on ( so she said) on the school's cement floor.
I didn't make a big fuss out of that because I know how it is with children and running around. Hundreds of them would mean out of control.
 Furthermore she had only a small superfacial cut to show. Nothing new to her or me.
I can't say much for the pants though...

Getting Yona the cuppies was the easy part. The hard part was doing the selling.
I'm sure she was more of a by stander rather than the actual person selling them.
But according to her, everything was 'gone' within minutes.

With that said ,saw her club making a profit of around RM?????? ...I don't really know because I never calculated what I spent on the ingredients and everthing else on making them.
Doing something you love and seeing how much others appreciate them was rewarding enough for me.
As with other 'things', it has never been about the money.

I had even asked her to just donate the whole taking to the club since I know it won't be much.
But her teacher made her take just the percentage that was pre agreed upon.
i.e. 70/30%
She handed me RM59 for the 86 cuppies she brought to school.
(yea..that was all that was left after they were home 'attacked' )


All ready for the picking...selling cheaply at RM1 each
Chocolate fudge cupcakes iced with lemon butter frosting

Raisins cuppies with buttercream topping 
All packed and ready

No comments: