Thursday 2 June 2011

A FRIEND FROM THE PAST

I was going through the pages of old school friends on facebook and came across this.

Sadness passed me. That obituary could have been mine. Afterall we were in the same 'era'.
It is so 'easy' and 'fast' if you think how we could one minute be here and the next gone.
It's all sorrowful feelings you get going through fond memories of someone who is not in this world anymore.

I first knew Francisca way back when were were in our teens.
I was thirteen and in Form two . Though we were born on the same year,  she was a year behind in grade.

I was actually best friends with her older sister Lola for the whole of my junior years.
I remembered many good times with Lola and her family at their home.
Sadly, I remembered too how time and new friends just made us drift apart.
It has been years  ....many many years since then.
I can 'see' she is still around but the gap we have left behind might be too large to ever be close again.
Maybe it was already written somewhere that our 'path' would only crossed once and branch out forever.

Much of our  friendship  back then were based on the fact that we were all very good at sports.
I was the 'new' addition ( having just moved from Labuan) to the 'clan'.
Back then who wouldn't know the famous Edmunds.  The three sisters from St Cecilia's convent.
Judy and Flo were sprinters like myself while Fran was more to the mid distances events.
She was slighly bigger built  ( and curlier :) )than her order sisters.

We somehow 'ruled' the track at every sports meet. Seems like everyone involves in sports knew who and how good we were.
Those were the good old days... I hope they too remember them fondly as I do.
Memories are all that is left now so it might as well be the good ones that I remember.

I didn't see eye to eye with Fran on most things then but we did shared friends and fun times together.
Importantly I remember her then and now as my friend .

May her soul rest in peace .

No comments: