Thursday 24 March 2011

IT'S MOTOWN

“American Idol” contestants had to sing hits from Motown tonight and I have very little to complain about. Song choices were mostly good though I didn't really know most of them.
 Ryan wasn’t annoying....Randy was less 'mean'.. Steven seemed less bored than usual...while Jennifer looks beautiful with her side parting rebonded hair....or wig?

As I see and hear them.-

*Casey Abrams, “I Heard it Through The Grapevine.” Finally some control during his performances.  He still came off as angry and not very fun to watch.
Nothing feels natural and effortless but it was still way better than last week's screaming.
*Thia Megia, “Heat Wave.” At last she chose an upbeat song. But it didn’t really work for me.  It just didn’t seem right coming from her. It’s kind of weird and hard to explain.  Probably her goody goody looks doesn't match her with singing these kind of songs. When they reshow the clippings of everyone's performance for the night....she kind of stand there amongs the bottom listed.
*Jacob Lusk, “You’re All I Need to Get By.” Much much better. Way more controlled.
 I almost thought he was at risk at Bottom 3 this week until this performance (and the extra stage time for pimping). Maybe next week....

*Lauren Alaina, “You Keep Me Hanging On.” . She did a great  job. I loved the slower beginning then the powerful jumpoff. I really enjoyed her stage presence although I feel she would look better if she could cut her weight down. She has this way of making  singing look so easy and effortless
The judges love her....as always.

*Stefano Lagone, “Hello.” One of my favourite song and also one of which I'm familiar with .  I was able to picked up on a lot of emotion in his performance. Probably because he now opens his eyes more :)
Good reviews from the judges though personally I thought  he still screams a lot.

*Haley Reinhart, “You Really Got a Hold On Me.” Ugghh..... She picked the wrong song?... It just didn't sound 'right'. And she needs to cut down on the growling. It’s so overdone.
 I don’t know, I just didn’t like it.

*Scotty McCreery, “For Once in My Life.”  YEAH!!!...I was happy he stayed true to himself (even though I’m not sure it’s possible for him not to). He kept showing us he can take a non-country song and put his country spin on it. Overall, it was fine. Not his best, but not bad. Everyone from judges to the audience (& ME!)  loves him so it doesn’t even matter.

*Pia Toscano, “All In Love Is Fair.” . She HAS to sing something different. Thou I can’t give her a low grade. Her performance was flawless.... and she looks so beautiful.

*Paul McDonald, “Tracks of My Tears.”  Finally  someone with a guitar. And it helped keep Paul in one place. I think his dancing is irritating some people (not me), so that was probably a good move. It wasn’t the best vocal of the night, but I think  it was the best performance of the night. He’s just so easy to listen to and watch. I loved it.

*Naima Adedapo, “Dancing in the Streets.”  I thought she needed to sing a slow song to try and focus on her pitch issues. But she  sang another upbeat song ...so she could dance? Although I think she made a good decision on that  because the judges were generous with their remarks. I didn’t love the performance but at the same time didn't love it  too.
She clearly lost a couple notes there ...but  she’ll  still probably make it through this week.

*James Durbin, “Living For The City.”  As usual  it was a great performance. He's still in the judges's favourite list evenif Randy was a little negative with his remarks there. Jennifer on the other hand said OMG like a hundred times... while Steven said you needed to be  a little 'crazy'..

100 percent safe   : James Durbin, Scotty McCreery, Lauren Alaina, Pia Toscano
Likely safe             Stefano Langone, Paul McDonald, Casey Abrams,Jacob Lusk,
Probably bottom 3: Haley Reinhart, Naima Adedapo, Thia Megia
Likely to go home : Haley Reinhart

Tonight’s performances were so good, that it’s hard to predict what will happen this week. Naima could pull herself out of the bottom. In that case, I’d say Casey would drop into the bottom.  Unless Casey and Thia change places. It’s a tough call!

No comments: