Sunday 24 April 2011

Word Power


I often write about my belief in the power of words and their ability to connect people on an emotional level. Words do, indeed, have the power to hurt, anger, destroy and, conversely, to heal, uplift and unite.

Throughout the years, writing has been the greatest therapy I've ever known. For me, putting thought to paper  is utterly cathartic. It allows me to think aloud without actually... well... articulating out loud.
It has enabled me to explore  and express thoughts and analyze feelings and situations in ways that, when  stucked inside my head, may never really have been brought to light in any meaningful way.
It has not only opened my eyes to patterns of behavior, in myself and  few others that has been following my blogs ( for reasons I personally don't think necessary) ... it has also allowed me to weight options and make decisions in a most deliberate manner.

But then again there are people out there who uses words in a different manner.
These people seems not matured enough  to understand that every action has consequences.

I bit my lips from saying anything I don't know about....for I truly believe the saying
'if you don't have anything nice to say..... it's best not to say anything'

For a person to technically and legally slander another is totally unacceptable. Knowing the things they said   are false, and yet continued to portrayed these statement as facts?. P...leasee!
Intentionwise to hurt was there the moment these words were uttered.
So whatever regrets now is also unacceptable.
Let Consequences do the teaching.
****
A woman repeated a bit of gossip about her neighbour. Within  days the whole community knew the story. The person it concerned was deeply hurt and offended.
Later the woman responsible for spreading the rumor learned that it was completely untrue. She was very sorrowful and went to a wise old sage to find out what she could do to repair the damage.
“Go to the marketplace”, he said, “and purchase a chicken, and have it killed. Then on your way home, pluck its feathers and drop them one by one along the road”. Although, surprised by this advice, the woman did what she was told.
The next day the wise man said, “Now go and collect all those feathers you dropped yesterday and bring them back to me.”
The woman followed the same road, but to her dismay, the wind had blown all the feathers away. After searching for hours, she returned with only three in her hand.
“You see,” said the old sage, “it’s easy to drop them, but its impossible to get them back. So it is with gossip. It doesn’t take much to spread a rumor, but once you do, you can never completely undo the wrong.”
***************

"Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world"- Buddha

No comments: